It was J.S. Staedtler who transformed the workshop into an industrial plant. On 3rd October 1835, he received permission from the municipal council to produce blacklead, red chalk and pastel pencils.
By around 1840 J.S. Staedtler was already making 63 different kinds of pencil. In 1866, the company had 54 employees and produced 15.000 gross (= 2.160.000 pencils) per year.
In 1880, the company was taken over by L. Kreutzer who relocated it to the citys Johannis district in 1898.